Tuesday, August 2, 2016

You

I've written so much about you
Not always directly, never giving you a name
But I filled page after page in my messy handwriting
In now abandoned diaries
And I filled page after page of various blogs
Throughout the years, the words have collected
And I've spoken about you too
With friends, people who knew you
People who know you
I ask them how you're
What are you doing with your life
But never if you're happy
Because I'm sure you are
With her

But despite all the words I've written or said
And despite all the thoughts I've had
Never before have I missed so much what we shared
Because no one after you, as few as they are,
Have succeeded in making me feel so part of something
None have made me feel so comfortable telling them
About some small observation made on my way home
Or some silly question I had about the universe
None of them have had the patience
And not a single one of them made me feel like
There was nothing wrong with the world
They instead made me feel other things
Anger at how absolutely stupid they were
Shame at their refusal to be amazed by life's little wonders
And being at a complete loss of words with them
Because nothing I could tell them would chase away the
Awkwardness, discomfort between us


And so today,
And ordinary day of the year
No messages waiting to be read
Sent by someone I was trying so hard to just like
Without comparing them to you
No phone ringing
A call that will go on and on for hours
Because there was just so much to talk about
Today,
As I realize just how alone I am
I miss you
More than I ever have

No comments:

Post a Comment