Thursday, September 1, 2016

Glass

Today
For a moment
I forgot about gravity
I let go of something made of glass
And didn't realize there was nothing
To stop it from being pulled by gravity
And that is how it was
During those first few days
When nothing important
Stayed in my mind for too long
Unless it was tied to you
And like the glass jar that fell
I too fell
In love with you

And at the exact second
That I realized what was about to happen
The great mistake I had made
Early in the day
The glass hit the floor
And broke into a thousand pieces
And no matter how much I cursed myself
Or the universe
The glass remained broken
Too shattered to be whole again
And that is how I felt
On that godawful day
That I still try so hard to
Forget about

And later in the day
As I was walking past the scene of the crime
From that morning
When I forgot about gravity
For just one moment
Something split open the skin
On my aching feet
And the floor was stained red
In patches
Like an artist's attempt
At something abstract
And it was a fine pain
So unexpected
That it hurt more than it should have
And I wondered how
The shard of glass had
Escaped
Even though I was so careful
That morning
To sweep away
The glass jar I broke
Every small piece of it
And that's how it feels
When on an ordinary day
I remember something or the other
About you

And tomorrow
I will buy a new jar
To be used in place of a jar
That is now a thousand pieces of glass
And as the days pass
I will forget all about the one that broke
The one I dropped
The one that slipped through my fingers
And someday
That will be you and I

No comments:

Post a Comment