Monday, November 28, 2016

Cocoon

I no longer trust walls
Made of brick and cement
To keep me safe
To keep you out of my life
Along with everyone else
Because I did build walls
Watched as they collapsed to the ground
Only to build them again
And again
Until I realized that walls
They weren’t as strong as they looked
I felt defenseless
Vulnerable
Behind those walls that
So easily crumbled to the ground
Like they were nothing but walls of a
Gingerbread house
And so I threw away all those bricks and cement
I don’t need them anymore
For you’ll see that now
I’m hidden in a cocoon
Sure, it looks fragile
But you’ll need more energy than you think
To tear it apart and
Expose me to the world outside
And each time I have to weave myself
A new cocoon
It will only be stronger than the others
More layers so the sunlight doesn’t burn my eyes
More layers so you can’t tear it apart as easily
As you broke down each wall I put up
And it will be woven so tightly around me
Leaving no loom for air
For me
And slowly
With each new cocoon I must weave for myself
It will be a tighter and tighter fit
Until
Snap!
My bones break in two
Like dry twigs
Beneath careless feet
Snap!
Snap!
Snap!
Until I am nothing at all
And your hands then
Will be stained
For you broke the cocoon
Knowing what each rebuild
Would do to me
You made my bones snap
You
With hands stained with
Butterfly dust

No comments:

Post a Comment