Sunday, June 19, 2016

I'm in a country...

I'm in a country that recently allowed
Marriage for humans
Without discriminating lovers
Based on what sex they belong to

I'm in a country where two men
Or two women
Can hold hands, can kiss
Without having to hide behind locked doors

I'm in a country that was once known as the
Land of opportunity
And people from all these other countries
Called it home

I'm in a country where
The natives are a minority
A minority that is slowly being forgotten
To the convenience of immigrants

I'm in a country where one has the right to own a firearm
Something that in my country
Only men of the armed or security forces
Carry with them

I'm in a country where the word terrorist
Is used synonymously with Muslim
While mentally unstable is reserved for killers
Of 'pure' American blood

I'm in a country where presidential candidates
Shout at each other
Without addressing real problems
Faced by the voters

I'm in a country where the news is full of death
A young singer was killed
There was a massive shooting at a club
A child became an alligator's meal

I'm in a country where they wanted proof
That I will return to my own country
A country criticized by these very people
Once my holiday had come to an end

I'm in a country where people want to know
Why I wouldn't want to live here forever
And I'm tempted to tell them to watch the news
And ask me again why on earth I would want to live here

I'm in a country where I've been for a few weeks
A country I have fallen in love with
For its beautiful houses and nice people
A county I will be leaving in a few hours time

I'm in a country that has given me
Plenty of reasons to smile
People who have spoken to me kindly
Family that has been so full of love

I'm in a country that isn't home
And that can never be home
A country that is so strange
And so foreign to me

I'm in a country that made me realize
Just how lucky I am
To not have been born here
To not be one of them

I'm in a country that made me realize
Just how thankful I should be
For the little island that is serendipity
The little island that is home

No comments:

Post a Comment