Thursday, June 23, 2016

Bridges

I always thought it was enough
To be the bridge
That takes you to the place
You want to go to

I thought it was enough
To be strong like
Bricks and cement
To be able to endure
Being stepped upon
Spat upon, littered on

I thought it was enough
To always be there
Whenever you needed me
Just so you could get to the
Other side

But now I've learnt that
None of that is enough
Because you don't just want a bridge
To cross rivers
You want beauty and comfort
You want the bridge to be
So much more than brick and cement

You want streetlights
And their warm glow
To guide you
Show you where to go

You want a railing
To lean against
When you wanted to stop for a moment
And enjoy the view

You want benches along the way
For when you get tired
And your feet ache
Or you just want to sit for a while

You want so much more
Flowers, sculptures, art
So that the bridge isn't some
Ordinary structure

And you made me feel so inadequate
So plain and boring, so easy to forget
You made me feel like
I wasn't worth remembering

And I hope you know that if you had looked closely
You would have seen the
Tiny white flowers blooming through
My cracked skin

If you had looked closely you would have seen
The fireflies that flew towards the stars
And the moon, pure and white
Guiding you even on the darkest of nights

If you had looked closely you would have seen
That I could have been enough for you
If only you hadn't been so afraid
Of something so seemingly plain

No comments:

Post a Comment