Monday, May 30, 2016

A place on earth

I'm in a country that loves the color white
More than they like the darker hues
It's getting better, they say
And yet, I wonder, if that's true

I'm in a country where my dark skin seems
So wrong, so dirty, so ugly
My dark hair isn't brown or blonde like theirs
And it's the wrong color too

I'm in a country where I'm asked if I'm mixed
Or if I'm 100% Indian
I feel like a beverage
Coffee mixed with creamer or 100% fresh orange juice

I'm in a country where I'm congratulated for being Sri Lankan
Because people don't know how to react
To being told I'm from a country
They haven't even heard of

I'm in a country so far away from home
With food that is not new to me
But they don't taste as good as a hot parippu
With rice and fried fish

I'm in a country that looks nothing like home
Where the grass is a different shade of green
The sky is a different shade of blue
And the water tastes different

I'm in a country where the language I know
Makes me feel less that I am
Simply because I pronounce even the simplest words
All wrong, too slow

I'm in a country that isn't home
A country that'll never be home
I'm in a country where my darkness makes me feel
Like an alien from a distant planet

And then I think of home and the country that is mine
An island in the Indian Ocean
And I remember all the times I've been told
I'm too dark, I should stay away from the sun

I remember all the times people have stared
Because the clothes I wore were just not right
I remember all the things that have been said
About how curly my hair can get

I remember all the times I've been told
To not decorate my dark skin with darker ink
I remember all the times I've been told
I'm too dark, too plain, too ugly

And I think of the country that is my home
The place I've lived in since birth
And I remember all the times I've been made to feel
Like an alien from a distant planet

And so I wonder where I belong
Where my complexion isn't a flaw
And so I wonder where on Earth
I can be without feeling inadequate

No comments:

Post a Comment