Friday, March 20, 2015

The (Un)Lucky One

He always had the visible signs of
Grief
He doubled in pain
His sweat-drenched body
Limp
His eyes shut, he couldn't
Keep them open for long

And when I said he was
The lucky one
They told me to shut up
Not say such cruel things
And continued to nurse him
Fill bottle after bottle
With hot water
Place Eau de Colonged cloth
On forehead
Force syrup and pill
Down throat
Change menus to suit
Patient's needs

And I?
How did I cope with grief?
Not that they ever
Bothered to ask
Or notice

Well, I sealed my thoughts
Like a murder scene
I became more and more
Silent
And even though paper
Beats rock
Silence doesn't beat
Noise
  Whimpers, shouts
  Sounds of pain
But silence is all I had
And words
  Words that filled
  Pages
  Words that no one
  Read
  Words that cried out for
  Help.

No comments:

Post a Comment