Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Keys beneath flower pots

I have something that belongs to you
And when you asked for it
I pretended I didn’t hear you because
I thought holding onto it will stop you from leaving

You have something that belongs to me
And when you tried to give it back to me
I pretended I never noticed
And let you keep it so you’d have a reason to stay

And now, our borrowed somethings are a curse
To us both, they make us hate ourselves and each other
For thinking something so small
Could be like ropes that tie us to each other

Other people, they’ve replaced you now
Like I’ve been replaced in your life
And that is okay, we both know
But our borrowed somethings lock them out of our hearts

For when he, like many others, knocked on the door
And I said, please do come in
He couldn’t, for the key beneath the flower pot
Wasn’t for the door to my heart

And he asked me, ‘but to whose heart is this key?’
And I remained silent, for how could I tell him
The only heart this key would open
Is in a man who had left so long ago?

And he asked me, 'where’s the key to your heart?’
And I remained silent, for how could I tell him
That key now lies, useless,
Beneath a flower pot outside the door to your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment