Tuesday, June 9, 2015

It's just hot in here

I wipe my forehead again
Wipe away the sweat that has gathered again
You catch me in the act again
Ask if I'm okay... again
My look is meant to say, 'really!?!'
But it may look blank to you
Because even the glaringly obvious
Isn't obvious to you
So even though I have reason to be nervous
And the butterflies in my tummy feeling is no longer nice
And my feet feel like jelly
And the goddamn sweat
I look away as I tell you,
'It's just hot in here.'

Later, when test, discussion, interrogation is over
And the damn sweating has ceased
I think my lungs will stop being stubborn
But how wrong my assumptions are
And then I realize all the mistakes I made
Choosing A instead of B
That instead of this
Him instead of you
You envelope me in comfort, assurance
And suddenly I'm grabbing on to
All warmth I can find
For a blanket of ice is draped on my shoulders
And when I shiver
You ask again, if I'm okay
And again my look is meant to say, 'really!?!'
Because of course
We have both not found obvious
The glaringly obvious
So even though everything hurts
Even though everything is frozen
I look away as I tell you,
'it's just cold in here.'

No comments:

Post a Comment