Tuesday, July 18, 2023

'Find someone'

When my mother kept telling me to find someone,
To not be alone in life, I lashed out
Told her to leave me alone
I was so ashamed of my inability to
Make anyone want me
But today, through a keyhole, I got a glimpse of
The vulnerability that comes with a life lived alone
And understood what it has been like for her
And why she has insisted on my finding someone

It reminded me of plastic bags cutting into the skin
Of my fingers gone white from the weight of their contents
Groceries I didn't need to buy, but did to make things easier
For my mother
The heaviness makes my arms ache, my eyes water
But I can carry them because I know that
At the sound of the gate opening, closing
Or the doorbell ringing, my mother would open the door for me
Carry some of the bags inside

But what happens when she is no longer here
For if nature has it's way, she will leave me someday
Who will then open the door for me? Relieve me of those heavy bags?
Who will be here to love me?

No comments:

Post a Comment