Tuesday, July 5, 2022

life.

My mother tells me that my hair looks nice
"He did a good job trimming it"
My curls have settled well, she says
I smile in response, too ashamed to admit that
My hair gets this way when I don't bathe every other day
And I don't remember the last time I had a bath
Whenever I do decide that today,
I will wash my hair, shave my legs
Put on an outfit that doesn't look like a sack
A tiredness falls over me and I instead have a quick wash
And go back to bed

I share a picture of my cat with a friend and tell her
I can't post it online because I have promised myself I won't until I'm no longer sad
It feels like a threat to my brain:
You either get your shit together or lose the one outlet you have to vent
So far, it hasn't worked. I don't tweet. But I'm still sad
The truth is, I started hating myself, this person I've become
Always so tired and angry and sad and awful
I didn't want to spend another minute with myself
And the thing about hating yourself is that
You can never escape yourself

You don't need to tell me this is selfish, because I am aware
But I desire company just so I can be held
So I can rest my head on a shoulder, hold a hand that doesn't let go
To remind myself that I am still here
Still breathing, still present in this moment
You also don't need to tell me that this will pass, like everything else,
Things will get better, I just need to hold on until then
I am aware. I know.
But that doesn't make it any easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment