Friday, February 25, 2022

Seven years (Coronach)

Word of the day: Coronach


In four days time it'll be seven long years since you passed
Waking me up at a quarter to midnight on the last Sunday of the month
To tell me you couldn't breathe and it didn't take long for you to take your final breath
And then that was it, you were dead

This is selfish, I know, but what I hated the most about your death
Besides your sudden absence from my life after having you by my side
Since the day I was born
Was the way everyone expected me to be strong

I'd just lost you and it felt like my world was collapsing around me
And people told me that I would get through it because
I'd had that final day with you, unlike grandkids who, by choice,
Had moved to countries that were oceans away from you

And I looked at that wooden casket you were in, closed, so I never had to see
What you looked like when you were no longer alive
And later, you were smoke and ashes, dust
Surrounded by people, I watched you go, never having felt so alone in my life

And now, seven long years later, I still want you here
Talk to the photograph we have of you in the living room
I tell you things and sometimes, let myself cry
Whisper that I wish I could join you in the afterlife

No comments:

Post a Comment