Monday, January 17, 2022

Nothing to offer

I used to think I was no good for you
I had nothing to offer, not really
A body I hated seeing in the mirror
A belly too big, thighs too fat, a face too ordinary
Anxiety that made it impossible to leave the house sometimes
Or breathe with ease
Depression that left me exhausted
I needed to go for therapy
But instead I remained a burden on my friends
When I drank too much and couldn't stop my thoughts
From spiraling out of control and throwing me
Against one wall and another
I feared commitment, demanded affection
Wanted more than I could ever give
And so I thought I was no good for you
You were too good for me

But now, I take it all back
You only seemed too good for me
In pictures where filters hid your flaws
Carefully worded sentences that made you sound smart
Stories you spun so that you were the hero
Made yourself a cape out of made up trauma
But behind closed doors
Naked to me, you had nothing to offer
You were just another guy
So fucking ordinary
Couldn't pick you in a police lineup
Wouldn't notice you in a crowd

No comments:

Post a Comment