Monday, February 10, 2020

Today

The floor beneath my feet is flat
It always has been
I would know
I have walked on it all my life
But today
I have to steady myself against furniture
Older than I am
Because today
The floor is made of a thousand pieces of Lego
That keep moving ever so slightly

I haven't seen a rat inside the house
Since I was a child
In the garden
There are a few
But they never step indoors
We have the occasional roach
Scorpion, centipede
But today, shadows dart across the floor
From table to cupboard
Hop from chair to chair
I know they are not there
But I see them
I do

I am not sick
No fever, no cold, no sore throat
No food poisoning
No flu, no illness
And yet, I have to fight the need to empty my insides
Taking deep breaths through my mouth
Hoping it fights the need to
Vomit

Today
I am not okay
My lungs are within a tight fist
My skin itches
And my head hurts
Inside, my mind twirls
Tries to focus on words
But fails

Today
I am
Not
Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment