Thursday, August 22, 2019

Blurred vision

A year or so ago, when I complained of terrible headaches
My mother insisted I have my eyesight checked
"You are always in front of that computer" she said
Making no reference to the glasses I bought years ago
But never wore

I read out the letters pointed to on that lit up screen
Struggling with the smallest of them
Worrying about having to wear glasses
Which screwed with my mind and made it impossible to
Even walk

But my eyesight was fine, nothing wrong there
My ability to focus on objects close to me...
Now that was another matter entirely
I was told to do some exercises and return
But I never went back

...

While practicing yoga, we lie on our stomachs
Our arms stretched beneath our bodies, chin stretched forward
We raise our legs at the second inhalation
I dread this asana for two reasons

Firstly, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to raise my legs
Although I always find the strength to do so

Secondly, I hate how the pattern on my mat
Blends in to become one blur of colour
During this asana only
And not during the others that bring my face so close to the ground

The turquoise mat, with its fish scale-like pattern
Becomes an ocean that makes me afraid that
My eyes will never be able to focus on what's held right in front of me

...

Perhaps sensing how vulnerable this makes me
My cruel, cruel mind plays tricks on me
Turning the world into a blurry mess even when I'm not
On a yoga mat, preparing for an asana

On days like today, when they seem absolutely ordinary at first
My mind clicks between the sharpness of my surroundings
And an ocean of colour running into each other
Making it impossible to focus, to walk, to talk, to think
Making it impossible to breathe

And in these moments, when nothing is clear to me anymore
And the ground feels shaky, my legs made of gelatin
I want to be swallowed whole, taken away
Set free

No comments:

Post a Comment