Monday, February 20, 2017

Hair

Why did you cut your hair
They still ask
Although it has been weeks
Or even months
I can't quite remember
Anymore
But it's been long enough
And yet
They keep asking me
Why did you cut your hair
It -you- looked so much better
Before

And I just smile
Tell them I was sick and tired
Of all those curls
But what I was really sick and tired of was
Not what was on my head
But in the heads of others
That made them assume
It was oh so totally acceptable and understandable
To make the silliest jokes
Say the crudest things
Stare as if I was not even human

And now that my hair is no longer a mess of curls
That make people stare
Ogle
Call out to me
I'm invisible
I'm a plain Jane
That no one bothers to even look at

And that's exactly why I cut my hair
Even though that's not the reason I give you
When you ask me why I cut my hair

No comments:

Post a Comment