Saturday, October 15, 2016

Stranded

Here I am
Sitting away from them
Removed
From family
The people I’ve known all my life
Their voices reach me
Conversations I’m not part of
Partly by choice
Partly out of having no other choice
For I no longer feel
One with them
They
Sibling and mother
Are on mainland
And I
Stranded on an island
With rising water levels
And it blinds me when the sun
Hits it with force
The blade I used to
Cut the bridge made of rope
That connected us
Their hearts and mine
Blood bonds that are supposed to make us stronger
Not weaker
Not more afraid
Or angry
Not more unsure of life
And as I feel waves
Lap at my feet
I close my eyes
Wave goodbye
Silence their voices
Ignore the words that reach me
Of conversations I am not part of
Neither as participant nor topic
And unknown to them perhaps
Hopefully
I cut them from my heart
Thread by thread
Just like the blade
Sliced through the bridge made of ropes
That connected me to them
That connected this island of mine
To the safety of mainland

No comments:

Post a Comment