Wednesday, August 5, 2015

For you on a rainy day

“Today is the first of August. It is hot, steamy and wet. It is raining. I am tempted to write a poem. But I remember what it said on one rejection slip: After a heavy rainfall, poems titled RAIN pour in from across the nation.”
- Sylvia Plath

Do you see the fairies
Crashing on to
Windshield
And puddle
Dancing and singing
In merry
Mass suicide?

But those fairies
Will get their fair share
Of words today

So today
The fifth of August
Will be for you
Entirely
And solely
For you


#1
Missing you
Is like missing a memory
That wasn't mine

Missing you
Is like missing a book
I've never read

Missing you
Is like finding a voice familiar
Even though I've never heard it before


Loving you,
It's no surprise then,
Is like loving the great unknown


#2
Our fingers touched yesterday and much to my disappointment
It didn't send waves of emotion through me like I thought it would
Maybe because there were other people in the room or
Because it wasn't a romantic gesture
It was also something I had done so many times, handing a glass of juice or water
To you and you taking it, except usually I hold a tray and you take the glass on it
Yesterday, there was no tray and you had no choice but make contact with me
I was disappointed, I expected more out of that unplanned moment

But then, later, after I had actually said a word or two to you
Acknowledged your existence for the first time in two years or more
And as you were leaving, still laughing
You turned back and smiled and I smiled
And we made eye contact, which I now know is stronger than
The accidental meeting of hands
And then, I felt that wave
And it left me with a longing for the past
And happiness, and happiness and happiness


#3
I wish
It was
  It was a windy day
    A hot day
  The clouds sending
    The sun sending
  Soft, cool kisses
    Sticky kisses
  Our way
    That stuck on to skin
  And you give me your own
    And you gave me your own
  Warmer, more real
    But wetter and messier
  And I melt
    And I distance myself
  Like the books say
    Pretend it's all happening to
  One would
    Someone else 


#4
You said
'Don't write about me'
So I won't


#5
On a day like this
Three years ago
We would have been
Talking about your exams

On a day like this
Two years ago
We let silence
Keep us away from each other

One a day like this
One year ago
I had finally stopped
Missing you


#6
Four years of
Unrequited love
Then I tell you

Then I meet him


#7
Know that
I'm waiting for you
With patience




(Out of reality, fiction was written. Incidents may seem familiar, too recent to forget and too true. However, know that I've taken that reality and added just too much imagination for any of my words to be anything but fiction.)

2 comments:

  1. Keep writing what I want to say....till I find my words back, amidst chaos and life moving at a snail-pace but a break-neck speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The words will come to you when they are meant to be written

      Delete