Sunday, February 7, 2016

What if...

I often wonder these days
What we would say to each other
When we meet again

Would I just stare at you
As those memories hidden beneath
Everything else
Push through and fight
And surface?

Would we forget it all and smile
And share with each other
Our lives as they turned out
After you and I
Stopped telling each other
Everything?

Would we pretend to have
Not seen each other and just
Walk away because it still hurts
When we think about all the possibilities
That lay in front of us during those days?

Would we walk past each other
Because after all these years
Finally, we are strangers
And don't recognize
Those once too-familiar
Faces?

And then I think
But what if we never meet again?
And my mind erases that thought immediately
Because life can't be that cruel
Surely that last hurried moment
Can't be our last?

No comments:

Post a Comment